By Katherine McCarthy, Winter 2010 - Extended Version
One of the perks of being a student at Alliant is getting a student discount at number of companies and restaurants. I interviewed Andy Morgan in the Purchasing Services Department and he provided me with some useful information about how he and Mehdi Rajabzadeh make deals with companies to obtain savings for AIU students—and more importantly, where students can cash in on those savings.
The following discounts are available to the students of Alliant International University. To access the links to these discounts, log into the Student & Faculty Portal. On the left side of the webpage, click on “Savings for Alliant Students.”
OfficeMax: Go to OfficeMax and present their savings card (download PDF on website) at the time of check-out and receive whatever discount applies to that item. If the price of an item is lower at the store due to any special promotion, students will receive the better price. Students can also copy documents at OfficeMax at a price that is lower than Kinko’s. In addition, students are able to order materials via the web and have them delivered to their home with free shipping. Go to www.officemaxsolutions.com and enter the following log-in information:
Microsoft: Alliant students are able to order their own personal copies of various Microsoft products at a discounted price (go their website to view discounted software).
Apple: Visit Apple's Store for Education and select Alliant International University to receive discounts on Apple products.
Lenovo: Alliant students can receive up to 35% off on Lenovo ThinkPads and up to 37% off on Lenovo ThinkCentres by going to www.lenovo.com/alliant.
Dell: Alliant students can receive a discount on select Dell computers by clicking here - Just be sure to use Member ID: US24508180
AT&T Wireless: Save 10% on your monthly service charges through AT&T Wireless (download document through the Alliant Portal).
Universal Studios: Alliant faculty, staff, and students can receive discounted prices on tickets by going to the following link: https://ushtix.com/alliantinternationaluniversity
Overstock.com: Alliant students can receive an additional discount off of Overstock’s already-low prices.
Entertainment Coupon Books: Alliant students can receive a 15% discount and free shipping on Entertainment coupon books using the following link: http://www.entertainment.com/2113228262
If you have any questions about these special programs, please contact Andy Morgan (email@example.com) or Mehdi Rajabzadeh (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Purchasing Services.
In addition to these great discounts for all AIU students, there are a number of restaurants and companies near Pier 39 that offer discounts for students at the San Francisco campus. Just remember to bring your student ID to get your discount.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum at 175 Jefferson Street offers a student rate of $12.50 per person ($16.99 for regular rate).
- United Studios of Self Defense at 2424 Lombard Street offers a 25% discount for students. The 6-month membership program is $900 with the discount ($1200 for the regular rate) and the 12-month membership program is $1650 with the discount ($2200 for the regular rate).
- 24 Hour Fitness will waive the enrollment fee for students. The closest location to AIU is at 350 Bay Street. The membership department suggests one of the current monthly membership plans for students: 1) $34.99 per month for the “All-Club Sport Membership” and access to 380+ clubs all over the U.S., with 11 in San Francisco, or 2) $31.99 per month for the “One-Club Sport Membership.” If you’re ready for a long-term commitment with 24 Hour Fitness, they also offer 1-, 2-, and 3-year plans. Students are free to change, cancel, or freeze (for 1 to 6 months) their plan at any time. 24 Hour Fitness always has special membership offers, which do change periodically so make sure you call 415-395-9595 for the most current information.
- Club One Fitness offers discounted student membership plans. The closest location to AIU is at 2 Embarcadero Center. The following membership plans are available 1) Full Network Membership with access to all clubs in CA at $88/month, 2) San Francisco Network Membership with access to 6 clubs in the city at $78/month, and 3) Single Site Membership at $77 per month or $68 per month for 12 months. Club One Fitness offers complementary group fitness classes, strength training, towel service, and a retention program to keep you motivated about working out.
- Lou’s Pier 47 Restaurant and Blues Club at 300 Jefferson Street offers a 10% discount to students. In addition, they will give students a free soda and a soup or salad with any meal.
- Hot Spud at 2640 Mason Street offers a 10% discount to students and very friendly service. Hot spuds are big baked potatoes cooked to perfection, mixed with butter, cheese and salt and topped with anything you’d like, such as corn, red and green onions, bell peppers, black olives, chicken, steak, sausage, cheese, and sour cream. Hot Spud also has salads, soups, and desserts, and is vegan and gluten-free friendly.
- SF Yogurt/Falafel Market at 79 Jefferson Street offers a 20% discount to students. Come here for lunch and dessert! The Falafel Market has a variety of cheap sandwiches, most of which are also vegan-friendly! The self-serve frozen yogurt (at $0.50/ounce) comes in a variety of flavors. Some dry toppings or a waffle cone will complete your sweet treat.
- Boudin’s offers a 10% discount to students and a frequent buyer’s card. Have your frequent buyer’s card swiped every time you make a purchase and for every $1 you spend, you’ll receive 1 reward point. For every 50 points, you’ll receive $5 off toward your next purchase. You’ll also receive a free 1 lb loaf of Boudin’s famous sourdough bread every month for 13 consecutive months.
- Biscoff Coffee Corner at Pier 39 offers a 15% discount to students. Ask for their frequent buyer card and have it punched each time you purchase a beverage. If you buy 10, you’ll get your 11th regular coffee for free.
Enjoy the discounts.!